The Health and Wellness Center at South Plains College oversees the provision of mental health services, student health services, and disability services to its students. Please click below for more information on these services.


Mental Health Resources

Learn More

Suicide is a major public health concern.  In 2020, suicide was the 12th leading cause of death overall in the United States, claiming the lives of over 45,900 people.  Suicide is complicated and tragic, but it is often preventable.  Knowing the warning signs for suicide and how to get help can help save lives.  Watch this video on Suicide Prevention for practical ways to help someone thinking about suicide:




If you are in crisis and need immediate help please contact the crisis centers listed below:


Emergency Assistance Call: 911


SPC Campus Police

Office: (806) 716-2396

24 Hour Phone: (806) 891-8883


STARCARE: (Levelland, Lubbock Area)

Provides Assessment, Crisis Intervention, Suicide Intervention, Adult and Child Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse Treatment

24 Hour Crisis Line: (806) 740-1414

Toll Free: (800) 687-7581

1950 Aspen Ave.

Lubbock, TX 79040



Provides Assessment, Crisis Intervention, Suicide Intervention, Adult and Child Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse Treatment

24 Hour Crisis Line: (800) 687-1300

2700 Yonkers

Plainview, TX 79072


Contact Lubbock Suicide Hotline

24 Hour Hotline: (800) 273-8255

National Text Line: 741741


Women’s Protective Services

24 Hour Crisis Line: (806) 747-6491

Toll Free: (800) 736-6491


National Domestic Violence Hotline

(800) 799-SAFE (7233)

(800) 787-3224 (TTY)


Sexual Assault Help

Voice of Hope

24 Hour Hotline: (806) 763-RAPE (7273)

Phone: (806) 763-3232

Fax: (806) 763-180


There is no difficulty too big or too small to consult with counseling services. Whether these challenges are those that may feel common and simple, to difficulties that you see as unique and make you feel different than everyone else.  Counseling is a great place to get some insight into concerns. 

Common personal concerns include:

  • Adjusting to college
  • Stress/anxiety
  • Test anxiety
  • Depression
  • Low self-esteem
  • Life transitions (e.g.: leaving home, graduation, marriage, having children)
  • Relationship concerns (e.g.: romantic relationships, roommates, friends, parents)
  • LGBTQIA+ concerns
  • Discrimination
  • Loss and grieving
  • Eating disorders
  • Sexual Abuse, sexual assault and sexual harrassment
  • Alcohol/drug use

Common Career Concerns include:

  • Indecision about an academic major
  • Dissatisfaction with current major
  • Lack of knowledge about an occupation or career field
  • Interest in bachelor or graduate education

Other reasons may include:

  • Frequently missed classes
  • Eating disturbances, such as appetite loss or compulsive eating
  • Sleep disturbances, such as insomnia or excessive sleeping
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Unexplained crying or emotional outbursts
  • Social withdrawal
  • Restlessness or irritability
  • Significant behavior changes
  • Change in academic performance
  • Confusion or thinking disturbance
  • Thoughts of suicide:  Comments and threats of suicide should always be taken seriously

Licensed professional counseling is available free of charge to students.  Counseling services in-person are available on the Levelland Campus and Lubbock Downtown Center.  Virtual appointments are available for all campuses.

Office Hours:  Monday – Friday 8:00am-4:00pm

For more information, please call 806-716-2529 or email

Student Health Clinic

South Plains College offers all students taking at least six (6) semester hours in-person on the Levelland Campus a medical treatment center with the services of a licensed nurse practitioner.  The Student Health Office is located in the Health & Wellness Center adjacent to the Technology Center.  Eligible students needing to schedule an appointment should contact the Student Health Office at 806-716-2576.  The Student Health Office is closed during the summer.

Hours:  Monday thru Friday, 7:30 am – 3:30 pm

Download a Community Medical Resources list.

Students with an identified disability have access to accommodations to help them be successful at SPC. For information on our services see below:  More


Levelland Campus
Phone: (806) 716-2577 


Lubbock Downtown, Reese, Lubbock CTE Center, and Plainview Campuses:
Phone: (806) 716-4675 Email:

In accordance to the guidelines established by the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, our prevention program addresses the following areas: standards of conduct, health risks of alcohol and drugs, legal sanctions, additional resources and assistance, and early warning signs.  More


What is Texas Education Code 51.982?

Click here to see full code.

The Texas Education Code 51.982 protects parenting students from: being forced out of school; limiting their studies; attending an alternative program; changing their major, degree, or certificate program; and being forced into or out of any particular course, activity, or program based solely on their parenting status or "issues related to the student's pregnancy or parenting."

What are Title IX Pregnancy and Parenting Accommodations?

The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. Title IX states that no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be, subjected to discrimination under any education program of activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

Title IX also provides for equal educational opportunities for pregnant and parenting students. It prohibits educational institutions from discriminating against students based on pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, or recovery from any of these conditions. It also prohibits schools from applying any rule related to a student's parental, family or marital status that treats students differently based on their sex.

U.S. Department of Education - Supporting the Academic Success of Pregnant and Parenting Students:  Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
  • Where do I begin the Title IX Pregnancy and Parenting Accommodations request?  Click here.
  • Where do I access Parenting Resources?  Click here.
  • Where do I find Lactating/Nursing Mother Information? Click here.

If you have any questions regarding your rights as a pregnant or parenting student, please contact
SPC Health & Wellness office at 806-716-2529 or email


The South Plains College Emergency Resources Listing is where you can find community food assistance, help paying bills, and other free or reduced cost programs available to students and the community. This list provides information on community resources and specific qualification requirements.

You may access the most current list for the Levelland/Lubbock area here. If you would like to meet with a H&W representative to discuss referral options please contact the South Plains College Health & Wellness Center at 806-716-2529 to schedule an appointment.

Tex Food Pantry

The Texan Food Pantry provides non-perishable food and toiletries to any currently enrolled South Plains College student or employee who need a little extra help. 

For more information, CLICK HERE

Make a request to the Texan Food Pantry

Interested in donating to the Texan Food Pantry? See what is needed here

We want your experience at SPC to be positive and safe as we all return to campus. SPC will continue to provide the best possible educational experience. View our COVID Response here

The First Step Program is designed to assist South Plains College's financially challenged career and technical education majors in the following areas:

  • Financial assistance in the form of gas mileage reimbursement at $15.00 per day
  • Financial assistance with childcare at $100.00 per week per child
  • Referrals to additional resources within South Plains College and the surrounding communities

Support is available for students who are enrolled in Career and Technical Education Programs that are dominated by the opposite gender.  The goal is to provide both monetary supports to cover expenses such as textbooks, scrubs and supplies, encouragement and links to other resources to help nontraditional students complete their programs.

For example, Non-Traditional Scholarship (NTS) is looking for men going into fields of Nursing and Cosmetology and women pursuing careers in Auto Tech, Heating and Air Conditioning, Welding, and Industrial Manufacturing - just to name a few.

Students must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA, maintain monthly communication with counselor, must present receipts to verify expenditures, and reapply each semester.

You can find the application for FS/NTS here.