Working With Academic Probation Students
The goals of the project for mandatory advising for academic probation students are to:
- Increase both the retention of the students and the GPA of the returning students
- Decrease the number of students placed on academic suspension
- Student is placed or continues on Academic Probation after failing to achieve a 2.0 cumulative GPA after semester grades are posted-a registration block is placed on their records, preventing them from registering or changing an existing schedule
- Letter is sent to the student from Admissions notifying them of their status and providing contact information, a web link to the "Probation Exercise," is included in the letter, that students should complete before advising visit
- When the student logs on to CampusConnect, a pop-up message will say:
SPC is committed to your academic success; therefore please contact your advisor (advisor's Name linked to contact info list) or one of the South Plains College Counseling Centers for assistance with registration.
Levelland Counseling Center: 806-894-9611, ext. 2366
Reese Counseling Center: 806-894-9611, ext. 4606
Plainview Center: 806-296-9611, ext. 4302
If additional information is needed, please contact Christina Conner, Retention Specialist, at 806-894-9611, ext. 2961.
- Student makes an appointment with their advisor or the Counseling Center for assistance, or attends open registration or late registration During visit with counselor/ advisor, the following is expected to take place:
(a) Counselor/advisor discusses "Probation Exercise," with student and makes appropriate recommendations based on the student's responses
(b) Counselor/advisor determines any course or credit hour limitations for the semester schedule
(c) Counselor/advisor completes the "Academic Probation Contract" with the student, and both sign (see attached); student is strongly encouraged to take either HUDV 1100, 1200, or 1300 if they have not already successfully passed one of the classes
- Counselor/advisor can choose to remove the registration block by:
a) Going to "Demographic Information," in CampusConnect
b) Clicking on "Update Demographic" and, using drop-down menu next to "Cleared for Web Registration," change the item to "Yes
- Counselor/advisor either scans contract into FileBound under the student's Admissions Academic Suspension/Probation folder, or forwards a copy to Christina Conner at Box S for scanning
How is a student removed from Academic Probation?
A student is removed from academic probation once their cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or higher.
If you have any questions about the project, please contact Christina Conner, Retention Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 806-894-9611, ext. 2961.