Transfer Student

International students currently enrolled at another college/university in the U.S. with an F-1 visa.
How do I apply to South Plains College?
 (All documents must be in English)
1.  Application: Complete an International Student Application.
 2. Application Fee: A $100 non-refundable application fee (in U.S. currency) is required before consideration of an application can be made.  You will receive directions on how to pay this fee after your application has been received and processed.
 3. Photocopy of visa and passport.
 4. Most recent I-20 and I-94.
 5. Transcripts: Official college transcript from all colleges/universities attended in the United States must be submitted in place of the high school/secondary transcript. Must have completed at least 12 semester hours semester hours with a minimum 2.0 GPA to be eligible for consideration.
 6. Financial Ability: Proof of financial ability to remain at South Plains College must be submitted with the application. Proof can be in the form of a bank statement (minimum of $10,500 USD) within the last six months along with a typed and signed letter from the sponsor responsible for providing financial support or the I-134, Affidavit of Support. I-134, Affidavit of Support can only be completed if sponsor is a U.S. citizen. An additional $2,000 USD is required for each dependent. 
 7. International Transfer-In Form
8. Vaccine: Proof of MENINGITIS VACCINATION, if under the age of 22.

When will I know if accepted?

Once we've received all required documents, the application process will take about 5 to 7 business days. You will then be notified via email with admission decision. Students on academic suspension at current institution will not be accepted.

Policies and Regulations for F-1 International Students

Student must maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. Only one (3hr) internet or distance education course will count towards full-time enrollment requirements, 9 hours in which must be taken on campus.

  • Code of Federal Regulations 214.2(f)(6)(i)(G)

If the student changes address, the student must provide the Registrar's Office with the new address within 10 days of relocating.

Student may work on-campus, with Registrar's approval, up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time while school is not in session or during the annual vacation.

  • Code of Federal Regulations 214.2(f)(9)(i)

If the student acquires a Social Security card, the student is required to submit a copy of the card to the Registrar's Office immediately.

Student may not work off-campus unless student receives an Employment Authorization Document from U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

  • Code of Federal Regulations 214.2(f)(9)(ii)(A)

If the student plans to leave the country for any reason, the student is required to bring in the Form I-20 to the Registrar's Office and have it endorsed. Failure to do so will result in the student not being eligible to return to the United States by ICE.

The student is required to inform the International Student Office of the following changes:

               If student legally changes their name.

               If student changes their major.

               If the student enrolls in another institution.

               If student intends to transfer.

South Plains College reports to ICE all changes of name, address or major and changes from full to part-time course loads.

  • Code of Federal Regulations 214.3(g)(2)(ii)
  • Code of Federal Regulations 214.3(g)(2)(iii)

For more information on the Code of Federal Regulations please click here.

Effective Spring 2019

Application Fee – $100
Housing Application Fee - $100
I-901 Fee – $200

Housing (excluding official school holidays) – $4,200/year
Tuition (estimate for one year) - $5,800/year
Misc. Expenses - $500
Estimated Total = $10,500

Health Insurance

Health insurance is not a regulatory requirement for F-1 students, but is strongly encouraged. South Plains College does not recommend any health insurance company.