From the South Plains College's Mission of Advising
The role of the Advisor is to:
- Facilitate the student’s educational experience.
- Maximize student potential with the development of an individualized success plan.
- Empower students to define realistic educational, life and personal goals.
- Evaluate student progress toward established goals.
- Establish relationships by assessing student needs through open communication.
- Provide appropriate TSI (Texas Success Initiative) placement information.
- Interpret institutional requirements and policies.
- Increase student awareness of educational opportunities.
- Integrate data regarding student needs, goals, success plans and problems.
- Be sensitive to the needs of a diverse student population.
- Have comprehensive knowledge of educational opportunities, including academic transfer and technical programs and academic requirements.
- Continually enhance awareness of advising issues by participating in professional development opportunities.