2013 Distinguished Alumni Honorees
2013 Distinguished Alumni Honorees pose with SPC President Dr. Kelvin Sharp prior to the start of the College's 55th Commencement Exercises May 10, 2013. Pictured are Dr. Sharp, Brian Butcher., Robin Satterwhite, MBA, ED.D., FACHE, Jamie Roney, BSN, BSHCM, RN, CCRN, Linda Patton, wife of the late Dennis Patton, and Mike Box, Chairman of the SPC Board of Regents.
The Distinguished Alumni Award
The Distinguished Alumni Award has been established at South Plains College to recognize and honor the noteworthy achievements of its former students.
Recipients of this prestigious award are selected from a pool of nominations submitted to the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee by the faculty and friends of South Plains College. Nominees for the award must be former students in which the College was a legitimate part of their educational career. They must have worked at least 10 years in their chosen profession or have made significant contributions in their career if less than 10 years. Additionally, they must be recognized for outstanding contributions and achievements by colleagues or employers. All nominations are screened by the Awards Committee which submits its award recommendations to the President of the College. The recommendations are affirmed by the South Plains College Board of Regents through an official resolution bestowing the award.
Four former students were recently named Distinguished Alumni of South Plains College. The awards were presented May 9, 2013, during the Presidential Reception honoring the recipients of the 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award. The event took place on the Levelland campus.
To learn more about each 2013 Alumni Honoree, click on the links below.
Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame
- Brian Butcher, (2003-2004), Spacecraft Software Engineer, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas
- Robin Satterwhite, MBA, ED.D., FACHE, (1988-1990, A.S.), Dean and Professor, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas
- Jamie K. Roney, BSN, BSHCM, RN, CCRN, (1990-1991; 1992-1994, Certificate of Proficiency, Vocational Nursing; A.S.), Nurse Specialist, Sepsis Coordinator, Coventant Health System, Lubbock, Texas
- Dennis Patton, (1960-1962 A.S.), Posthumous Award, SPC Professor, Co-owner of Chem Tech Services, served on the SPC Board of Regents, Levelland, Texas
- Ronald K. Baccus, (1988-1990, A.S.), Structures Subsystems Manager, Orion Crew Module Project, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas
- Leann Kuenstler Ellis, Ed.D., (1977-1979, A.A.), Vice President for Academic Affairs, Butler Community College, El Dorado, Kansas
- Dan M. Harris, Jr. (1987-1989, A.A.), Assistant Chief Patrol Agent, United States Border Patrol, Marfa (Texas) Section, Marfa, Texas
- Steven M. Presley, Ph.D. (1978-1980, A.S.), Associate Professor and Research Coordinator, Institute for Environmental and Human Health, Adm. E.R. Zumwalt, Jr. National Program for Countermeasures to Biological and Chemical Threats, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- The Honorable David A. Swinford, (1959-1961, A.S.), Member, Texas House of Representatives, District 87, and principal owner of Ag-Plus Consulting, Dumas, Texas
- C. Donald Combs, Ph.D., (1970-71, A.A.), Vice President for Planning and Program Development, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Va.
- H. David Cook, M.D., (1967-69, A.A.), partner and physician in the Dallas Obstetrical Gynecological Association, Dallas, Texas
- Gary W. Owen (1974-76), A.S., Vice President of Engineering Services, Cliffs Drilling Company, Houston, Texas
- Robby Timberlake, R.Ph. (1966-68, A.A.), registered pharmacist and partner in Baggett Pharmacy, Levelland, Texas.
- Bill M. Balch, M.D., (1973-75, A.S.), Doctor of Internal Medicine, private practice, Levelland, Texas.
- *Ruanna Myers Gossett, D.V.M. (1976-78, A.S.), Postdoctoral Research Associate, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, Bryan, Texas
- S. Kent Harrison, Ph.D., (1975-77, A.S.) Associate Professor of Agronomy, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio.
- Sally Rowell Snow, B.S.N., R.N., (1969-71, A.S.), Trauma Services Coordinator, Cook-Fort Worth Children's Medical Center, Fort Worth, Texas
- Thomas R. Watkins, D.D.S., (1972-73, A.S.), Clinical Associate Professor, University of Texas Health Science Center School of Dentistry, San Antonio, Texas.
- Michael Balch, M.D. (1968-70), Doctor of Internal Medicine, private practice, Levelland, Texas.
- *Don Boedeker, (1969-71, A.S.), Quality Assurance Engineer, U.S. Navy Weapons Base, Ridgecrest, Calif.
- *Larry McVay, (1958-67, A.S.), Vice President and General Manager of Amoco Pipeline Co., Chicago, Ill.
- David R. Stanley, (1958-60, A.A., deceased), former Professor of Government, South Plains College, Levelland, Texas.
- *Royce W. Waltrip II, Ph.D., (1972-74, A.S.), Research Psychiatrist, University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- *William R. Wheeler, (1965-67, A.S.), Engineering Consultant and Partner, Analysis and Design Applications, Co., Ltd., Bayshore, N.Y.
- *Dennis Deel, (1965-67, A.A., deceased), Manager, Analytical Mechanics Division, Martin-Marietta Corp., New Orleans
- *Leslie Lawrence, (1959-61), Professor of Art, Grossmont College, El Cajon, Calif., noted ceramic artist
- Thomas Spencer, Jr., Ph.D., (1958-59), President of Garland County Community College, Hot Springs, Ark.
- Terry Tubb, M.D., (1960-62, A.A.), Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Midland, Texas
- Kenneth Turner, Ph.D., (1965-67,A.A., deceased), Curator of No Man's Land Museum, Goodwell, Okla., noted forensic anthropologist.
*Position or occupation listed here is as of time of award.