The First Step program is an assistance program for technical majors funded through the Carl D. Perkins grant. The program assists qualified students with differing the costs of books and supplies, childcare, or transportation expenses; as well as providing support and information for students.
Assistance / services available:
- Childcare assistance
- Transportation Reimbursement
- Books and Equipment
- Personal Counseling
- Academic Advising
- Career Counseling
- Referral to outside agencies
Requirements to receive assistance through Carl D. Perkins funding:
- Be enrolled in a technical/vocational degree program offered on the campus you have applied for assistance.
- Be able to demonstrate financial need.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA (Cumulative)
- Be working on first degree
- Additional steps may be required depending on location and nature of assistance. For further details contact one of the specialists listed below.
Standard Deadlines: Specific Dates are posted in the Counseling Center or First Step Office
- November for Spring
- April for Summer I & II
- July for Fall
Application Notes: Click Here For Application
- Fill it out the Application and return it before deadline. All Applications received after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list and be considered on a need-based scale. Those who meet the application deadline will be considered first.
- You must re-apply each semester.
- You may request more program information in person or by contacting us at the information below. If you have any other questions please call or come by. Our office appointment times are Monday thru Friday from 8am – 4pm.
1401 S. College Ave.
Levelland, TX 79336
Disability Services Counselor
819 Gilbert Drive
Additional Assistance may be available through Workforce Solutions of the South Plains: http://www.spworkforce.org/